Building an Industry Leader
Blinds.com is the largest online window covering store in the world, providing treatments for over a million windows a year. Their cutting edge online customization system and mobile shopping app make it simple and affordable to order custom blinds, shades, drapes, curtains and shutters. Their website offers a huge selection of products, measuring and installation videos, and articles about home decor trends.
Before launching Blinds.com, its owners sold window treatments under a different company name, with a difficult-navigate online shopping system. They purchased Blinds Wholesale, a competing business whose site we had developed, in 2001 to acquire its online shopping cart, and with the intent to create the top Web destination for purchasing custom window treatments.
Because we had developed the Blinds Wholesale website and shopping cart, we were hired to also develop what was to become Blinds.com.
- We developed the new E-commerce site to optimally sell items with a wide variance of pricing based on an industry-standard width/length pricing chart plus the price of add-ons.
- We developed an extensive custom framework, along with backend CMS, for selling a high volume through the new online shopping system.
- We were involved at all levels of decision-making during the process of designing and branding the new look and feel of Blinds.com.
- We performed all SEO functions and ran an effective PPC campaign using Overture, which eventually became Google AdWords.
- We also developed business software systems integration with the new site wherever it made sense to do so.
Our new E-commerce site and PPC campaign quickly helped the newly-formed Blinds.com capture a large portion of online sales of custom window treatments. They rose to the top position in their category within a few years and ultimately became an industry leader, known for their simple, seamless, and effective end-to-end buying process. Many of the elements we built for the Blinds Wholesale and early Blinds.com frameworks formed the foundation of a site that is now generating more than $100M in revenue annually. The company was named to the Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies of 2013, and was recently acquired by Home Depot.